Bottle Drive

Yesterday...Saturday...I decided to sort the bottles and take them to the bottle depot. Dawn, in her infinite wisdom, suggested that I take them in sooner than 6 months at a time. Women!! :-)
We had 561 pop cans, 287 greater than 1 litre plastic bottles, 261 less than 1 litre plastic bottles, 86 small Tetra, 27 large Tetra, a bunch of beer and cooler bottles, and about a dozen liqueur bottles. I probably missed a few but you get the point.
Took them in today...Sunday...and it came to $110.75!! So you see...if I take them in when someone else thinks I should, then the money back would be less!! Women!! :-)
9 comments:
Um, dude, are those bottles and cans a regular fixture on your lawn? Because if so, I'm with Dawn: Take em in weekly.
Did some calculating... you only had about 39 cans/bottles of beer and coolers. 6 months=39 cans/bottles of beer and coolers?
Did some more calculating... Assuming that all the pop cans and plastic bottles were for soft drinks, it comes to nearly 1000 L of pop drank in the last 6 months. If everyone in your household partook in these drinks equally and it was indeed 6 months, then each person drank 0.9 L per day of soft drinks.
Even more calculating... (sorry, I got carried away with my curiosity!) Assuming all of these are regular soft drinks (not diet etc...), 0.9L of pop contains just over 30 teaspoons of sugar.
Of course, there were a lot of assumptions (no one else drank any of this pop, none of it is diet or V8, size of the over 1L was 2L... ). Fascinating stuff.
[incidentally, the word verification for this post is iwmdfan]
I used to recycle and save this stuff just like you. I would save it up and take it all in at once and come home with quite the nice chunk of change.. I haven't done it in so long.. Perhaps I should get back to savin'
Zaak: The bottles are in garbage bags placed in a shed. I had to dump them to count them. No...I don't have to count them but it makes returning them a lot easier.
As for your other comments...point taken. Some of your assumptions are incorrect but still makes me think that maybe I should look at ways of cutting down the intake. Maybe if I got rid of the kids....
There is very little sugar pop in there comparatively. Thanks though for figuring it out for me. I'll have to talk to the family and see what alternatives can be used instead of pop. I can hear you now...WATER. But water...is just so bland.
Chalice: We pay a deposit when we purchase any drink like pop, beer, etc. so taking it back really means we get our money back. We also recycle our cans, plastics, and paper to take to the recycling centre. We have a pretty good recycling system here.
Ummm, Where are the returns for the ginsing drinks, the soy milk, and the boost drinks?
Sorry Sirdar. I just had to know how much pop that was. When you factor in parties and diet stuff the numbers do drop drastically.
There's a serious pop drinking problem where I live. People pay up to half a day's wages for a 3L jumbo cola and you see these dirt poor old people hobbling down the sidewalk with their massive bottles. Plus they feed it to their babies.
Just teasing about the lawn too. I'll have to get a photo for you of a local geographical eyesore.
Kim: Believe it or not...there were a couple of those types of drinks in there.
Zaak: They were piled where the car normally sits. I await your pictures.
I wish more people were recyclers...I mean it wouldn't effect my lifetime too much but it would make a difference for my further decendants who could bring me back later...Hmmmm?
Hey you, give me that can, come back I was only kiddin', no wait, I wasn't .....Get over here...HA! Got it...!!!!
We have a pretty good recycling system here, too. We have bins we put at the end of our driveway Sunday, and it is picked up every Monday. We don't get paid, but we're trying to be good :)
NV: Are your bins for recycling pop, juice, liquor, and water bottles? That is what my pile was for. For the pop, juice, water, liquor bottles we pay a deposit and then take them in to a bottle depot for refund.
As for the other recycling like newspapers, cardboard, plastics, etc...we take them in for recycling for no money...just to recycle.
Post a Comment