Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Strength and Honour: Cycling Canada Coast to Coast

I just finished watching the documentary Strength and Honour: Cycling Canada Coast to Coast by Zaak Robichaud. The film was shown at the Montreal Film Festival this past summer.

Zaak and his wife Amber used to attend the Red Willow Community Church that my wife and kids attend...and me occasionally. They are now in Guatemala with Impact Ministries.

One of the things about the documentary that I noticed the most was the drive to get the trip done despite many accidents, flat tires, and poor roads. It shows us a bit about Canada that a person driving would never experience like the sights, the sounds, the bugs, the wind, the rain, the road, the food, the camping, the big trucks, and the people and places that they live. I want to do this trip sometime before I can't.

I know from my cycle touring days what that feeling is like, to cycle the open road. I was fortunate to ride from Port Angeles, Washington to San Fransisco, California along the coastal highway, the Banff to Jasper parkway a couple of times, and Calgary to Kelowna with my wife Dawn. Some of the things they experienced I could relate because of my trip. I understood about certain...body function events that they experienced. For the record Zaak...it wasn't the power bars that bunged the group up. It was just your body trying to figure out what the heck you were doing and making sure that it had something as a reserve.

One other thing that I might have to have if I do get the chance to cycle across Canada is a support vehicle. You see, when we did the coastal trip, we were packed. My friend and I both had front and rear panniers plus the tent and sleeping bags. We took turns carrying the tent. It looks like more fun when you are not carrying the extra weight on your bike. Every ounce counts!!

The DVD is available for purchase should you want to see the trials and tribulations of 9 people cycling across Canada. You will get an insight of each province as they cycle the miles. You will see that it takes more than Strength to do this trip. It take mental toughness to its extreme state that challenges the body to continue.

Congratulations Zaak! I look forward to your next film.

6 comments:

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

I used to love cycling but now I'm out of shape and ready to chill out for the rest of my life with my sweetheart and who knows, maybe even get a pot-belly, I can't wait....

Sirdar said...

Stick with the cycling!! Its not easy to get rid of a pot belly. I've seen many people try...to no avial. Maybe you and your sweetheart could get into cycling :-) Mine has.

Zaak said...

Thanks for the plug.

I really miss cycling. I ride my bike to work (when it's not raining - so about twice a month), but it's only a km.

I really hope you get to do the cross-Canada trip. Your other ones sound awesome - skipping some of the boring parts... I'd love to do another long trip like that - you become very focused. This time I think I might do a credit card trip (less luggage and no support vehicle and more comfortable beds).

As far as the next film. Ugh. My mind is soggy toast right now.

Cibbuano said...

that sounds horrible. I'm struggling cycling to school everyday. It burns me out going up hills!

Sirdar said...

Cibby: You get in better shape as you go, not the other way around. Soon those hills will be nothing!!

Zaak: If you do go again.... :-)

Tuco said...

Hi Sirdar, at
http://www.gopetition.com/online/10170.html

there is a petition asking the Fed. Gov. to promote cycling as a method of transportation. If you'd like to take a look and maybe sign that'd be great. And if you like the idea, send the link along to any friends who cycle!