Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Mothers Day

In a few short days Mothers Day will be upon us. I think Mothers Day was invented by Hallmark. With cards taken care of, the Chocolate Makers and Flower Growers jumped on the band wagon and then we have another overblown guilt fest where if we don't spend copious amounts of money or cook your best KD for your Mother, you are a loser. And of course Mothers get caught up in the hype and expect something. The way I look at it is that if it takes one day in the year to show that you love your Mother...you better start talking to you Mother more. I'm pretty sure that after the many years I have known my Mother that she knows the love that I have for her. And lets not forget the Wives of the world. I know that with my four kids she educates them, drives them to all kinds of field trips, phys-ed, shopping, doctor appointments, etc.. And in her spare time she does the laundry, cooks the meals or teaches the kids how to cook, cleans the house and coordinates the kids to do their chores and clean the house, is the president of the Parkland Home Educators and works part time at BeeMaid Honey as a tour guide. It makes me look pretty lazy in comparison. I have my moments but they are only moments, not every day events. She says that I work hard at work to provide the money that helps pay for everything including the roof over our heads. Somehow I still think I have the better deal. Doing a quick Wikipedia search yielded the following results: Wikipedia - Mothers Day

So even though this is just another excuse to blow some money, I will be expected to do my duty. I must say though that I am very lucky that I have a wife who isn't that caught up in all the hype about yearly holidays. I told her I would buy her flowers on Monday instead of Sunday, she said "Good idea!! They will be cheaper then." Did I also mention that my wife is also the payer of the bills and keeper of the money? Yup...she deserves recognition. All Mothers do. For any mother reading this...HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I have to commend Dawn for such a good come-back to your Monday flower suggestion. Not only is she a great mother to your children, she is actually whitty too!

Sirdar said...

Guess what? I didn't buy her the flowers last Monday. I fooled her. I'll buy them this Friday and surprize her :-)