Turkey Time...Again
No, were not re- celebrating Thanksgiving. I love turkey but Thanksgiving only comes once a year...unless we decide to celebrate the Canadian and American Thanksgiving. But since were Canadian, we will stick with the Canadian holiday.
Today was turkey day out at the farm. We "processed" 16 turkeys. We would have had more but a fox or two got in the hen...uh...turkey pen and helped themselves to some. The largest was 27.6 pounds this year. For you non-farmer types, that is after the feathers and guts are removed. We got 5 of them. Four were our normal take but there was one runt so the families decided we could have it. I think it was just over 10 pounds.
Anyway, we will be getting two of them smoked along with some of the chickens we did a couple of weeks ago. The job is done for another year and now we get to enjoy the fruits of our labour for the rest of the year.
10 comments:
You need to try some fried turkey Sirdar...I think you would like it. We just drop the whole bird in an emptied out keg after injecting it with some good seasoning and special stuff and voila...It's fried...well, there is a lil' more to it than that, but it's delicious...
Enjoy...
Blu: We don't do a lot of Fried things up here. Fried in a frying pan yes, but not deep fried like you are talking. The thought of all that extra oil kinda freaks me out. I LOVE KFC, but also know how bad it is for the arteries. Thus why we don't have it that much. But that is just us :-)
I have no doubt your fried turkey tastes delicious. Would like to at least try it once....in moderation of course :-)
I've read that deep-fried turkey is actually not as unhealthy as it sounds. This is because the oil is heated to such a high temperature that the bird doesn't absorb musch of the oil. The part that makes me steer clear is the danger aspect! That's a LOT of hot oil to have to immerse a turkey in. Enjoy your birds this winter Sirdar:)
I can't do the fried turkey, it's just an abomination :) My brother in law made a fried one year for turkey day, and it was crappy compared the the oven roasted version. Blu is just drunk from emptying out the keg he then fries his turkey in :)
But after chicken, turkey is my #1 favorite food. I lhove chicken :)
Sirdar, I think it's time to go turducken styles.
Cibby: Turduken Styles?
NV: I agree. It doesn't sound appetizing. However, I would try it if offered. Oh...and now I know where the keg part came from :-)
Amber: It must be the thought of deep frying a turkey that turns me off. However, like I said above...I would try it.
OMG!! It sounds pretty yummy Cibby. I'll see if the wife would cook one of those.
Turducken
As a teenager I used to work for a turkey farm. You'd grab them by the feet and the norm was 4 in each hand. Obviously much smaller than your turkeys. We'd then haul them up a ramp and toss them into wire crates. Good money but boy was it hard work. I have no idea why I just wrote that. I guess everytime I read about people preparing turkeys, and by 'preparing' I don't mean stuffing, it reminds me of the good ol days :o)
Adrian's work puts on a monthly dinner, and for Thanksgiving they did deep fried turkeys. I had never tried them before either, but I'll have to disagree with naughtyvoyeur - they were yummmmy.
Dude, you're still livin' the dream! Livin. The. Dream.
Post a Comment