Monday, November 20, 2006

Adventures in Renovation Land...Update With Pictures

If you recall a couple of posts ago that I was ripping out the kitchen cupboards and replacing them with new Ikea cupboards. There are a couple of things I have learnt. One, it is a good idea to have kitchen counter tops the standard height. Two, it is a good idea to have a straight wall. I apparently have neither. However, with the power of a larger hammer I now have the cupboards in the proper places. Having the counter tops 1" lower than the normal height made the legs not fit. So I had to build a base for the counters to sit on. As for the wall...nobody will see it anyway :-)

What is amazing about this is that "I" actually did it!! For someone who is wood challenged, this is a major milestone. I now fear no wood project. Nothing will stand in my way lest it be taken down with the mighty saws all. First the kitchen cupboards...next the laminate flooring!! That will be a piece of cake. Mind you...I've thought that before....

Pictures will be posted when I get the cupboard doors on. Maybe tomorrow night if all goes well.
___________________________________________________________________


These are the cupboards before. Yes they are ugly but they served the purpose. When we bought the house we knew we had to renovate a lot. There will be a lot more in the coming year.


The old cupboards removed


The finished install. I still have a few little adjustments to make and Dawn still has to find the hardware for the doors and drawers.


Zayal is very happy. Why? Notice the dishwasher? The other four dishwashers we had whined a lot. The new one works great...with no whining after supper!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow congratulations on getting those cupboards up, crooked wall and all. Working with wood can't be easy. I say you get this year's woody award!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! I never said that. You get this year's best cupboard putter upper award not the woody award. Oh jeez! Never mind.

Zaak said...

Nice work my friend. Looking forward to the pics.

Joy, honest mistake. Maybe you've seen Sirdar in his Speedo in -5°C heading off to work.

Anonymous said...

Ha..woody award..
Since I am also wood challenged I was inspired by your success..Plus I'd like to win a woody award some day, ha,ha..

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

Did someone say Woody? Joy. You are such a naughty girl :) And now Happy has admitted he is 'wood challenged'? This post is just really disturbing me now :)

But, Sirdar, on the right track.. EXCELLENT WORK! I am envious of anyone that can complete a project without hurling everything off the back deck. My neighbors are determined that at least ONE of my dogs are named "FUHHHHHHHHKKKKKK!"

Sirdar said...

It is comments like these that keep me posting. Thanks guys and gals!!

A Woody Award? Thanks Joy!! LOL!!

Debbie said...

Those cupboards look awesome! You did a great job.

I was happy for your kids when I noticed the dishwasher - they must be ecstatic.

Kim said...

Now those cupboards are a work of art!

Anonymous said...

Very nice Lorne. I can't wait till you come down and put up my drywall in the basement. :) I'm going to be too busy putting the new engine in the Cobra. Oh, and you won't get any 'suggestive' comments from me - I saw you in your underpants 25 years ago and ain't going there again!

Cibbuano said...

I'm terrible with wood, ever since junior high and woodworking!

Sirdar said...

Tom...I didn't know you were looking at me. Sheesh...now you tell me!! :-)

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

Hell, I'd be proud as hell to get a woody award...!!! And I must say you did an awesome job there buddy. I'm back in blu and will be reading a lot over the next couple days to catch up with everyone.

Keep it up Sirdarsky...

Later my friend...

Anonymous said...

Nice job!

But I recall being subjected to a lot worse things by you and Tom 25 years ago :P

Sirdar said...

Little Sister = Cathy? If so...welcome!!!

What renovations did we get you involved in 25 years ago?

Anonymous said...

well there was the fumigation project the two of you were involved in. Seems to me it renovated the interior of your car rather well, lol ;)