Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Happy Birthday George!!


Our buddy George is 5 today. There were times it looked like he wouldn't make it past his first birthday...but he lived. Barely. You see, when we got George he was 9 months old. We got him from someone at my work who just didn't have the time to invest in him. Sure she took him for runs every morning, he had good food, all the toys he could ever play with...but during the day he was in his cage. His master was a very social person so she didn't always spend time at home with him in the evenings. At night she would put him on his leash and take him for a walk so he could do his business. After a while she realized that maybe George would be better off with a family that was home more and could give him the attention that he needed. And that is how we got him.

So, we got George. Oh was he cute!! He was literally bouncing off the walls. He had a house with 4 kids who would give him all the attention he could want. But, he ended up getting a lot of attention he didn't want. You see, George would come in from being outside for hours and pee or poop right in front of us. We thought that maybe it was because he was just so exited to be loose all day. Well, after many scoldings he still did it. He would only go to do his business outside when he was on his leash. If we only knew why he was doing this. Well...we figured it out. It seems George was trained to go outside, on his leash and do his business when someone was watching. He used to get lots of praise and treats when that happened. When he did his business in front of us, he wasn't getting praise and treats.

Eventually, he figured out that he could go do his business without any one watching. I think the other dog we had sort of trained him....finally.

Now, George is a great friend. He has put on a few pounds but he is pretty healthy. He sleeps on the foot of the bed with Dawn and I. He still gets lots of love and attention. He gets along with all the cats, dogs, and rabbits that we have.

Happy Birthday George. Here is hoping for another 5 years!!

9 comments:

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

Awe, what a cute puppy :) Happy Birthday George!! And that's funny, about the potty thing. Both of my dogs require total privacy and will duck into the trees if necessary. Prudes :) My yellow lab is 13, so you have a lot of years to go I'm sure!

Sirdar said...

He is cute...to us for sure. He is a cocker-schitzu cross. Our other dog is a marama.

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

WOW, thats awesome....I miss my Dog "Tank" sooo much...

Happy B-Day Bud and I know you have a good next 5....Take good care of him Sirdar...

Blight said...

Awesome. I had a dog once, but she was a little too full of energy to stay in our house. We gave her away to a farmer (or so I was told).

I wouldn't mind having a pet of my own now that I have my own place, but I just travel too much for it to work.

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday, Georgie. He is a cutie.

Hey, for some reason I can't get the link to your blog to work from mine. Weird, hey? The rest of my links work.

Zaak said...

Yeah, it would be pretty hard to say no to those big green eyese!

Have good 35th Birthday Bud!

Cibbuano said...

man, dogs are so complicated... but when you get them super-trained, it's like having a best friend and a bodyguard all in one...

Kim said...

Boy, putting a picture of a cute dog on your blog is a great way to attract attention. Well done Sirdar. I hear George has 2 bunny best friends. Will they be invited to his party?

Sirdar said...

The two bunnies, three cats, and the dog are invited. You are too!!