Monday, August 07, 2006

I HATE Ants!!

I hate ants. I despise ants. I am not afraid of ants, but I hate ants. I know they are part of the Eco system and that they help with dead trees and other supposedly Eco friendly things. But I hate ants.

My hate for them started about 6 months after we moved to our acreage. We live on Sandhills Road. Go figure...ants like sand. Anyway, as I was saying...6 months after we moved in we started getting these flying ants in the house. It was spring by the way. Then there were some ants that were just crawling on the floor and the counters. The kids were on lookout for where they were coming into the house. So after a week or so we finally figured out they were coming from upstairs and had narrowed the search to my sons bedroom. Then one day I thought I saw one peak out from the edge of the ceiling and the drywall. (I might point out that my sons bedroom was not 100% finished. I might also point out that it still isn't. I know...bad dad. This fall there are plans to finish things inside the house.) Anyway, I went down and got a flashlight and shined it up there and sure enough about a dozen ants came to see what the light was. So we called in the exterminator and that was that. We were not sure how they got in the house but we think it was from the wood that the previous owner had brought in the house for firewood. He stored the wood under the stairs.

So today I was cutting the lawn and I kept slapping something from neck. I never did see what kept landing on me but it was annoying. After the lawn tractor ran out of gas, I went to the house to get my keys and wallet so I could run to town to get some more. Then I noticed something. The van and car were covered in bugs. I looked closer and it was those flying ants. Little wee flying ants. I looked around some more and noticed they were everywhere. They were all over the trees, all over the ground, on the house, on the barbecue...everywhere. They were flying everywhere too and that is what was landing on me when I was cutting the lawn. I saw holes in the ground and they were literally pouring out of the holes. It was like one of those scary horror movies. I have no idea as to what I can do to get rid of them or even where they came from.

I HATE ANTS!! I want my mommy!!

12 comments:

Blight said...

I wish I had some advice... but if you've done the exterminator route that's much further than I've ever gone.

I like spiders though, as long as they aren't making a bunch of webs that get in my face.

I like them because they eat other annoying bugs.

Oh yeah and dragonflies are super-cool!

Cibbuano said...

you should get something that eats ants...


like an anteater!

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

Holy shyte man!! I woulda moved by now!! Car covered? No way!! Sure they're not termites? We had flying ant looking things coming out of some old landscaping lumber. We got rid of all the wood, and they went away. Fortunately they never came into the house. But they were a crazy swarm when they wanted to be! I'll ask MR if there is a spray you can ask for, he used to do that kind of thing. Ach. Now I won't sleep tonight thinking about SWARMING FREAKY FLYING ANTS!

Sirdar said...

These new flying ants are the first time I've seen them this year. It is interesting but most of them have seemed to die. There are little dead flying ants everywhere. There are still a few living but most are dead. The only way an exterminator would help now is if he sprayed the whole acreage including the 5 acres of bush. Not a cheap endeavour with just over 7 acres total.

Cibby...maybe an anteater would do the trick. Now to find one in Canada....or maybe a friend from Australia would send me one :-)

Naughtyvoyeur...hope you get some sleep and don't have any bad dreams. I've read about your dreams and they are weird enough. With flying ants I could just imagine what you might dream up :-)

Zaak said...

When God gives you ants, make chocolate covered ants!

Zaak said...

I do feel your pain. We've got a serious silverfish problem in our house. Horrible things! Yech!! Apparently, they can go for up to one year without food.

Amber said...

I also feel for you Lorne! I just cleaned out Blaise's closet and there was a big horde of ants in the back, so I Raided them to death and then swept them all out. Yuck. Glad most of your flying ants have died. (Plus winter is on it's way and nothing can survive an Alberta winter right?:)
Our silverfish bug problem grosses me out because they like the kitchen and dark. So when it's night and we go into the kitchen and turn on the light they all go scuttling away! I've been dreaming about bugs since they've gotten bad in our house!

Sirdar said...

I'll have to look up what a silverfish is and what it looks like. A bug infestation is not a nice thing, especially in a house. Fortunately, we haven't had any of the flying ants in the house because of this "storm". As I said they seem to be dieing. As for things living through a Canadian winter? Unfortunately there are still ants when spring comes.

Sirdar said...

Well...found out what a silverfish is. I feel for you as they don't look pretty. Here is a link to help you get rid of them:
Silverfish

Apparently my flying ants are not all that uncommon. I just hope they decided to find new homes.
Flying Ants

Bravus said...

Sooo... you're anti-ant? ;)

Hope they all sort themselves out in some way that involves not being at your place. No major bug problems here so far, just little (non-poisonous) spiders that even I can cope with...

Bit of a challenge leaving doors open for the dog to learn to poop outside but still keeping the snakes out, though...

Blight said...

Oh my god Silverfish are THE WORST!

I had them bad in my last apartment. When I moved I threw all my furniture AWAY to prevent getting any coming with me to my new condo.

Thank god I have not seen any yet.

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

Find the source and treat it with a micro-encapsulated 'sigh-flur-a-thrin' (don't know the spelling, but that's how it sounds) or 'permathrin'.

God, what a bore. You can buy them at Home Depot here... not sure what chew got there :) OK. Not helping anymore because I don't like words I don't know. :) I just know he buys stuff and sprays the house once a year in the Spring, and all is well in the world :)