Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Miette Hot Springs

I'm on holidays this week. And did I ever pick a good week for weather. Edmonton was 32.9°C yesterday. We, however, were in Jasper National Park. It was hot there too. We went to Miette Hot Springs and did some hiking on some of the trails. It was great..for me and Traftan. The 'girls' didn't think it was that great. Oh, they had a good time but the combination of the heat and the steepness of the trail left them a bit too warm. Later, Traftan and I got a bit ill from the heat too as we both got headaches. A few pills later and we were fine.

Some of the neat things about the Miette Hot Springs area was the wildlife. The Mountain Goats literally came right up to our table begging for food. There must have been 10 of them all gathered around us. It was pretty neat. We didn't feed them though as that is supposed to be illegal plus processed meat, bread, mustard and mayo is not the natural food of Mountain Goats and I don't think it would have been that good for them. Traftan did let one of the squirrels take a piece of bread out of his hand. We have pictures of the goat gathering and the squirrel but we are still in the stone age as we don't have a digital camera.

After the trail hike we went to the Hot Springs. All I can say is...what a rip-off!! $28+ for our family to go sit in a hot pool. The pools were not even that hot. They said the pool was at 41°C and maybe it was. Mind you with the weather being hot and the pool being hot you didn't really cool down any. I also wondered if the water they use is the real Hot Springs water. The water did not even smell like sulphur. It just seemed like it was hot pool water. I asked and they said it was the real thing and that they even bring it down from 58°C to around 40°C. Anyway...$28+ for an hour sitting mostly on the edge of the pool did not seem worth it.

After leaving the Hot Springs we ventured into Jasper looking for supper. Of course we had to buy some fudge as just about every store in town seems to make their own. We walked around Jasper for a bit after supper and found a few more reasonably priced places to go next time.

All in all a very nice day trip!! Today...we are going to Alberta Beach for the afternoon and evening. I need to take more holidays!!

No comments: