Canadian Only Treats
My friend David was talking on his blog about having a Turkish Delight. I did a little search and found out we have something called Big Turk that is basically a Turkish Delight covered in chocolate. So, I did a search to find out which chocolate bars are only made in Canada. Here is what I found:
Aero Caramel
Big Turk
Bridge Mixture
Caravan
Cherry Blossom
Coffee Crisp
Crispy Crunch
Cuban Lunch
Eat-More
Glosette (Peanuts or Raisins)
Jersey Milk
Mackintosh's Toffee
Pep
Sweet Marie
Wunderbar
This list is from Wikipedia but I can say that I have had all of these at one time in my life. I used to LOVE Cuban Lunches. Cherry Blossoms used to be pretty good too. My favourite now is Coffee Crisp.
There are of course other snacks that are unique to Canada like...Hawkins Cheesies. They are great for a road trip. Oh Canada!!
11 comments:
and I, excuse my language, fucking-love Coffee Crisp. And only in Canada? It should be a national treasure.
I read this website where Americans would drive to Canada and buy boxes of Coffee crisp.
I even liked the orange coffee crisp...
glossettes!
cherry blossoms!
Sweet marie!
Bridge Mixture!
You need a case down in Australia?
Canada Only.ca
Canadian Favourites
I like Eatmore too...but I'm not sure that is chocolate.
We used to eat Big Turks reasonably often as a substitute for Turkish Delights... they're very nice, and quite similar, but just slightly different in texture. Another favourite (which might be American as well as Canadian, I dunno) was the Charleston Chew - I'll miss those.
Not so many of the other ones on the list: Bridge Mixture, in particular, could probably be used to pave one... ;)
Oooh, yeah, but the teeth-threatening good stickiness that is Macintosh will definitely be missed!
Is it a bad thing that I don't recognize some of these products?! I think it's pretty cool to be unique from our neighbours. I heard that the USA doesn't have Shreddies. Although I personally don't like them, if they don't have it, it's one point for the Canuks.
I read in Wikipedia that Smarties can't be sold under that name. Something about copyrights. Poor Americans...we'll just have to 'eat the reds ones last!!'.
We do have it pretty good in Canada. The chocolate bars here in Guatemala are pretty rough. There's an Argentinian chocolate called Bonbon Arcor that is quite good, but the rest are really waxy and not very tasty at all.
I remember buying Pep as a kid and just loving it. Now, Crispy Crunch is king - love that peanut crunchy stuff.
We're lucky enough to have groups coming down from Canada, some of whom have doubts about the food here so they bring lots of candy bars with them and don't end up eating all of them. It would be wrong to bring them back to Canada, so they give them to us poor, chocolate bar deprived missionaries. This really doesn't happen often enough.
Well...if I ever make it down there I'll bring you some good Canadian Chocolate Bars....buy don't hold your breath waiting for me :-)
Bernd had a case of Eatmores on the bike trip and the Guatemala trip too - they are tasty, and with all those peanuts almost healthy too:) I thnk my dad used to like Big Turks - the name is familiar. Do they still make them? I'm a sucker for pretty much any Canadian chocolate bar...
Funny you mention Big Turks. I was talking with someone at work and they just bought one at the little store in our office building. A Big Turk is a Turkish Delight with chocolate on it.
McIntosh resulted in loss of a tooth to me... it just got attached to the toffee and ... **shudder**
Never again.
Post a Comment