Thursday, May 18, 2006

Need a Plumber? Don't Call Me!!

I decided to try my hand at doing some plumbing today. I consider myself wood challenged and I think I can add plumber challenged as well. I actually did pretty well...I thought. I removed the old pump and pressure tank and installed the new one. Of course that includes re-tubing with Pex. Well...I finally got it together and was pretty proud of myself. I even managed to get water out of the well and get the lines pressurized. So I went and started the barbecue and came back in the house. Then I heard something. Sounded like a hiss. I went to look at the pump and then noticed a small stream of water. Then I noticed the 90° elbow slowly pulling itself out of the hose. I went down to try and hold it back. Then I thought...how am I going to shut the pump off when it comes back on. I didn't have time to think long about that as the elbow backed its way out of the hose while I was holding it. I got a very cold shower. There was water everywhere. I ran and shut the power to the pump off. What a mess. I got it cleaned up though I am sure not to perfection.

The real plumber is coming tomorrow. That "was" the original plan.

3 comments:

Blight said...

As long as no-one got hurt and no real property damage resulted, it was probably a good way to learn the limit of your plumbing skills :)

Sirdar said...

We have water now. The biggest issue was the water pump. I "may" have turned up the pressure last summer when we were pumping water up to the gardens from the pond. So anyway, we...the plumber friend put in some new nylon fittings that are better than the ones I had plus he played with the pressure settings and now we are good to go. What I did was fine, but with the increased pressure from the pump, it was just too much for the fittings to contain. My Pex piping held though!!

Cibbuano said...

I'd always hire the plumber... fixing it yourself sounds cool, but plumbing is just to close to sewage for my liking...