Segregated All-Black Schooling In Canada?
This bothers me. Some educator in Nova Scotia wants to have an all-black school for African-Canadians in Nova Scotia. I think this is wrong in so many ways. Canada is a multi-cultural society. Not a segregated society...well besides the First Nations People. But generally Canada is multi-cultural. I don't want us to turn into the U.S.
One other thing I noticed about the story is how it has been reported. Here are two articles about this story. Which do you feel has the better handle on the issue?
The Chronicle Herald out of Halifax Nova Scotia: Educator proposes all-black school
The CBC: N.S. educator proposes all-black school
2 comments:
that's a bad idea... it won't help black students in the long run, it'll just put them in a ghetto..
I thought both articles were similar in presentation.
I think that it's worth investigating the causes to the failure rates of the current system. I think having such large schools is one problem. Another is the history of the black culture in North America. Another is the minority complex. Another is the fact that often, black kids, no matter where they are in the world, when faced with some struggle, align themselves with urban American black culture.
Post a Comment