Thursday, April 27, 2006

Chiropractic Costs are Up

I hurt my back...again. Actually it has been over a year...December 27th, 2004 since my last visit. That is significant for me. That was at the time I had my pinched nerve in my neck. Trust me, you don't want one!!

Anyway, I woke up fine this morning but I was getting up from a sitting position and there it went. It didn't hurt that bad but I couldn't stand up straight. Off to the Chiropractor. Got in and it was hurting a bit more from the getting in and out of the vehicle. He did his thing and told me to walk and stretch and ice it and rest when it get too bad. So I took the day off and did all that. It actually feels pretty good now. I still can't stand 100% straight without some pain but overall, not too bad. I will still go for my morning visit with him and then head to work.

But what I really noticed is that the added cost went from $14/visit to $19/visit. A $5 increase in the service fee. That is close to a 36% increase. My guess is that the Alberta Health Care service claim they get didn't go up but his costs did. For the record the Alberta Health Care service claim for him is $13.23. My part is $19 so the total is $32.23. Oh...and he isn't one of those that put you through as fast as he can. I am there for as long as it takes and I have never felt him push me out the door so he can get to his next patient.

The good news about this is that I can now claim the $19 on the benefits plan at work without having to wait until the Alberta Health Care runs out. I now have $186.77 left of Alberta Health Care remaining for Chiropractic Care. I don't want to have that run out...because that means I have been in pain.

4 comments:

Cibbuano said...

you need to train your kids to give you theuraputic massages...

Sirdar said...

Ya...or just don't get old. I had a 'head first into the boards' injury in November 1986. Ever since then I have had troubles. The good thing is that I have been able to stay away from the Chiropractor for longer that last couple of years. I have a generative neck problem that I am sure will come back to haunt me again, but until that time I will just keep going.

Bravus said...

Look after yourself, old fella! I wouldn't suggest rushing back to work too much - I'm sure you can feel stuff piling up, but at the same time sitting in an office pretty much sucks as an evironment for backs to get better.

Sirdar said...

I will be heading into work in the morning. I wen't in for an hour on Friday mostly to catch up on emails, phone messages, timesheet, etc. Plus we had our Town Hall Meeting so I wanted to be there for that.

The back is not too bad. Only a little sore and mostly weak. No sharp pains.