Sunday, December 11, 2005

Time To Call A Truce On Political Correctness

This is starting to become...stupid? I don't know what to call it but some common sense needs to be thought out on this. In today's Telescope inside the Edmonton Journal it talks about a school having to change the name of their tree...not a Christmas tree as that has already fallen to political correctness and is now called a Giving Tree. But that wasn't enough. Here is the story:

Students at Medina elementary school in the Seattle suburb of Bellevue had been decorating their Giving Tree with paper mittens inscribed with gift ideas for the underprivileged of their community.
Alas, apparent complained about it saying the Giving Tree was too suggestive of, gasp, a Christmas Tree.
So, reports the Seattle Times, the students are now placing their mittens on what might be called the, er, "Giving Counter".

Lets face facts. People of different religions celebrate hundreds of different holidays or special events in keeping with their faith. Now I know that Christmas isn't a true religious holiday but it is one that is practised by most Christians. Our family doesn't do the Christmas thing but that is due to Dawn's belief. But Dawn doesn't care if anyone else celebrates Christmas, she just doesn't believe she has to and doesn't want to.
Back to the point. Does anybody actually get offended because someone else celebrates a religious holiday that isn't in their religious beliefs? I would bet NO. Has anyone actually asked whoever it is that the political correct person thinks they are offending...if they are actually offended? I would bet NO. North America is primarily a Christian based continent. There are still practising Muslims and people of many faiths and they celebrate their religious holidays too. I work with many people from around the world and some are not Christians. They do what they have to and nobody puts them down or is offended by their show of faith. I think there is a lot more tolerance than the political correct police want to know about. All I know is that I am getting tired of it. What is your opinion on this subject?

6 comments:

Cibbuano said...

Even though I'm not for the whole christian thing, I have to agree with you there.

Christmas is part of Canadian culture, and it's an integral part of growing up here. Watering it down till it's bland and unrecognizable is a heinous mistake. Canada has little tradition as it is.

Those kids, whose parents object to Christmas in schools, are going to grow up alienated from the rest of Canadian youth, and in the end, probably will not assimilate well into the country.

Sirdar said...

Those children were actually from the US but there is still some of the political correctness going on in Canada.

Cibbuano said...

Oops, I didn't read the article carefully...

Blight said...

I completely agree with you Sirdar. I would be happy to partake in other culture's celebrations in public school. Hell, couldn't that be possibly my only chance to try them out? I mean I remember we did Chinese New Years, and Ukrainian Egg Painting etc. It was great.

Why is anyone afraid of decorating a tree and calling it what it is. I wouldn't feel left out, I would feel *included* by being invited to take part in cultural events.

I was very proud of my local politician for sending out a "Seasons Greetings" letter to her constituents, but ending it with "Merry Christmas".

Merry CHRISTMAS everyone! And I'll be happy to receive a "Happy Hannukah" or whatever your cultural celebratory exchange may be.

Bravus said...

Sadly, it's impossible to outlaw idiocy. In this case, the parent who complained behaved like an idiot, and the school management who capitulated did too. A response of 'get a life' would have been more appropriate.

Kim said...

Yep, It is just not cool to be Christian, or to sport anything with the word "Christ" on it. What the "politically correct" wanna be's don't realize is that Christmas is several winter celebrations from many countries all rolled into one. It is not just a Christian holiday. This time of year has been celebrated for one thing or another for centuries. Why all the fuss now? (Do a quick google search on origins and see). Each person is still free to choose whether to celebrate or not.