Barriors To Change?
I had my bi-weekly visit from Winston today. Winston is a Jehovah's Witness. He is a nice man. He brought up something that kind of made me think. He said that the evil in today's world, according to the Bible is all Satan's fault. So I asked the question, "Why does God allow Satan to do these things?" "Good question" he answers. "I'll let you know next visit." He did try his best at answering and showed me an article in the The Watchtower called "Can Anyone Really Change The World?. Here is an excerpt from that article:
(Before you think I typed all this, remember, OCR technology is a wonderful tool...but it isn't perfect!! - Lorne)
Barriers to Change
According to God's Word, the overriding barrier to any of man's efforts to bring about a truly fair world is Satan the Devil. The apostle John tells us that "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one." (1 John 5:19) Right now, in fact, Satan is "misleading the entire inhabited earth." (Revelation 12:9) Until his malign influence is removed, there will be victims of evil and injustice. What brought about this sad situation?
Our original parents, Adam and Eve, were gifted with an earth that was designed to be a perfect paradise home for the whole human family - a world that was "very good." (Genesis 1:31) What changed things? Satan did. He challenged God's right to make the rules by which men and women should live. God's way of ruling, he insinuated, was unfair. He induced Adam and Eve to opt for a course of independence so that they could decide for themselves what was good and what was bad. (Genesis 3:1-6) This resulted in a second barrier to man's efforts to produce a fair, just world - sin and imperfection. - Romans 5:12.
Why Allow It?
'But why did God let sin and imperfection develop?' some may ask. 'Why did he not use his limitless power to get rid of the rebels and start over again?' That sounds like a simple solution. However, the use of power raises serious questions. Is it not true that abuse of power is one of the main grievances of the poor and oppressed of the world? Does it not raise questions in the minds of right hearted people when some despot uses power to eliminate anyone who disagrees with his policies?
To assure honest hearted ones that He is not a tyrannical abuser of power, God chose to allow Satan and the human rebels to act independently of divine laws and principles - for a limited period of time only. Time would prove that God's way of ruling is the only right way. It would show that any restrictions he places on us are for our good. In fact, the tragic results of rebellion against God's rule have already shown that to be true. And they have proved that God is fully justified in using his great power to eliminate all wickedness when he chooses to do so. That will be very soon.- Genesis 18:23-32; Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 37:9, 10, 38.
Until God acts, we are trapped in an unfair system, "groaning together arid being in pain together." (Romans 8:22) Whatever we do to change things, we cannot get rid of Satan, nor can we completely eradicate the basic imperfection that is at the root of all the suffering we experience. It is simply beyond us to remedy the effects of sin inherited from Adam.- Psalm 49:7-9.
THE WATCHTOWER. NOVEMBER 1, 2005
If I am reading this right, God isn't putting an end to evil simply because he doesn't want to look bad?
4 comments:
What they are saying is that, like any good parent, God has decided to let people learn from their own consequences.
Really? I don't see that in the text. If that was true then how do you explain the so called flood? I know...I know...that can be justified too I'm sure.
In the last few chapters of the Book of Job, God speaks to Job. The gist of his comments is basically this: "I'm God, and you're not. You can't do the things I do, think the things I think, know the things I know. You just don't have the capacity to contain the universe and all of time like I do. That means it's impossible for you to understand what I do. So just sit down and shut up: you be you, and I'll be God." It's a hugely unsatisfying answer to the questions you've raised, but I think it's the truth.
..and maybe the only possible answer.
(And that Christians just get ourselves in more trouble when we try to explain beyond that.)
Post a Comment