Sperm Donor Nightmare!!
This story was in the Edmonton Journal's "Telescope" article today.
According to Radio Sweden, a 39-year-old man in Sweden, whose sperm donation was used to father three children for a lesbian couple has been ordered by that country's Supreme Court to pay child support. He was ordered to pay after the two moms separated.
So gents, now that same-sex marriage is legal in Canada, you might want to think twice before being a friend and donating your sperm so a lesbian couple can have kids. If it can happen in Sweden where they have allowed same-sex marriages before Canada allowed them, you just know someone is going to do the same thing here. Thank goodness I'm fixed!! :-)
1 comment:
Heh, yeah, I'm in the 'shooting blanks by choice' camp as well, but this is an intriguing case. I guess the other approach is to donate sperm 'blind' through an agency, rather than directly to the recipients, so you're not identifiable...
Actually, I had a female friend ask me to consider the idea of donating sperm so she could have a baby alone, since she was in her late 30s and not married. I had problems with the intentional single parenthood thing, but even more than that, the idea that a child of mine, with my genes, would be out there in the world without my parenting and guidance just felt wrong to me.
Turned out she decided not to go ahead with the plan, so I never had to make the final decision, but fatherhood is so much more than what fits in the little jar...
Post a Comment