Fuel Mileage and Ways to Save Fuel Usage
We've filled up the new car a couple of times now. First fill up the gas mileage (Canadian) was 39mpg. The next two were 35 mpg and then 37 mpg. Some say it will improve as we use the car more. I hope so. I would expect to be in the 40's for a 4 cylinder. But I have been scouring the net for ways, or more to the point, devices that will help improve gas mileage. The most common was to change out the air filter and filter box with and air intake and filter. I have K&N filters in both the truck and van but not the air intake. I might look at the K&N when I need to change out the stock filter. Next I see under-drive pulleys can add a few HP plus reduce the load on the engine as they reduce the load on the motor. Cat Back Exhaust apparently can give me some gains too. NKG spark plugs are the preferred plug of the tuner crowd. A new Engine Management Computer could also gain us a few mpg's plus some HP. Performance Chips, I am told, do not do the trick. The only thing that bothers me about most of this stuff is it would cost me a small fortune to buy and install all this stuff. For the money I could buy a lot of gas.
99% of fuel saving devices such as the Turbonator, Tornado, magnets around the fuel line, chips, etc. will not give you any or little gain as show by the FTC in the US.
But there are a couple of things that may actually work. One is from a company in Britain called Ecotek. It has a device that fits on the vacuum breather pipe called the CB-26P. There have been many magazine articles written about it that claim that this one actually works. Check the site out and see for yourself.
The other is Canadian company called Motrlube. It is a Polyalphaolephin (PAO) product that is better than synthetic oils. Have a read on their site to learn about their lubricants.
I'm not sure if I will buy either product as they are, of course, not inexpensive, but I am sure thinking about it. Do you have any experience with the Ecotek or Motrlube? If so, let me know your experiences. Any other device or product out there that you have tried? What is your opinion (other than buy a Honda)?
No comments:
Post a Comment