Monday, June 27, 2005

Oops!!

I did a big OOPS last night. I was trying to dual boot my WinXP Pro machine with Win98. I have two hard drives so should be no problem....right? Well...in a perfect world you are supposed to install DOS, Win98, and then WinXP Pro, in that order for the machine to dual boot properly. I already had WinXP Pro on the one disk so was attempting to add the Win98 on the second disk using instructions I found on the web. Everything was going well until it says "reconnect your second drive containing WinXP Pro". From there I was to do a few more things and then I would have a dual boot machine. Unfortunately, (insert red face here) I just automatically reached down and proceeded to plug in the second hard drive power connection and...SNAP/SPARK!! I guess I should have been smart and shut down the computer BEFORE inserting the power connection!! What a dummy!! EVERYONE knows you are supposed to shut down the computer BEFORE plugging in any connections. Fortunately, I have only had the computer for about a month so haven't lost everything as I have some backups that I can use to help me rebuild. I think I have only lost the emails that I have received in the last month and some of the bookmarks that would be considered really important. At the very least I need to get a new hard drive and I can rebuild easily but I hope there wasn't too much that was important that the BOSS needs. Remember boys and girls...back-up...back-up....back-up!!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to recover data off a dead disk please speak now!! :-)

No comments: