Friday, May 27, 2005

A Waste of Time?

It feels like this blog is becoming a waste of time. Why? Nobody makes any comments. Which makes me think that my topics aren't worthwhile for comment. I can accept that as I am writing and I don't know my audience...except for David (Bravus) and Kim (Art 4 Life) . I'm not a forum watcher and poster like Bravus so I don't expect to get the kind of response that he does. So I'll just ask...what topics make a person comment? The ones that get the best response seem to be anything that would cause a lot of debate, like the same-sex marriage issue. That is one that could go on forever and I'm quite sure there would never be a mutual consensus from everyone. I'm thinking maybe if I had a themed blog on basically one topic or a certain issue that can have many topics. Most of my posts are just about my thoughts on things...which can probably be pretty boring topics. I could do relationship type posts but from comments on that topic apparently I am in the minority and don't have a clue even though I've been married for just about 18 years and have four kids. I could do one on home-schooling. I'm not the expert on that but I have a pretty good resource living with me. I just don't know which way to go.

Its constructive criticism time!! :-)

5 comments:

Bravus said...

Do you have some kind of logging software that gives you an idea of hits? I've found that comments are a particular bad measure of readership: I tend to average 50-80 page views a day on my blog, with peaks around a hundred, but will probably only average one comment a day. I know I read your blog pretty regularly myself, but don't always comment: not because the topics aren't interesting but sometimes because I feel as though I can't add a lot.

I guess the other thing you can do is get out there and really sell your blog - give it some publicity to drag in more readers. As you mentioned, I've got a bit of a built-in readership of people who know me from various forums, but I also promoted the blog pretty hard, in those forums and in other places, when I started it - and now it appears often enough in the various search engines that people stumble over it (albeit most often while searching for Sims pr0n...)

I guess the other thing is that, if comments are an important measure for you, maybe actively ask a question in each post, or some posts, that makes an opening for people to comment without necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with the post? Just a possibility...

Anyway, it's not a waste of time from my perspective, because I do read it with interest and have learned a lot more about you and your thoughts than I'd have known otherwise. Your comments on my blog are always much appreciated, and I'll try to do better at making yours a more interative experience!

Kim said...

I don't ever think of journaling as a waist of time. You are posting and archiving your thoughts for future read, as well as current read. I think about what I want to record about my day, my life, or my existance on this earth. Sometimes it is easier to work out ideas through a posting on my blog, and I do occasionally get comments...you have been faithful in that...thank you! Even if I don't get comments, its fun to be able to post a little bit of myself out there to share. I loved reading about Big Drum...and your comments about your workplace, your dog and her puppies. Don't worry too much about what your readers want, just write whatever is on your mind. That's my advice.

Sirdar said...

Thank for your thoughts on the matter. Maybe, as Bravus pointed out, I shouldn't look at comments to judge whether anyone is looking around. I do have logging software and you can see the results at the bottom of the page. I don't really have the time to promote as much as I would need to be in Bravus's league. I do enjoy putting out what I do on these pages. I like having different posts that range from my personal life stories to my opinion on things. Thanks for you words of encouragement and advice. I will continue for now knowing I have at least two people who read my ramblings :-) I know there is more because I can see others returning and I get more returning hits (cookie driven of course).

Ken said...

I think that you have to decide why you are writing the blog in the first place. If its to 'rant' or just share thoughts or journal or something ; or if its to have open forums and discussions.
Why are you doing it? I check in to your blog everyday to see what you have to say. I dont often comment about the things in there, but Im doing it more for an entertainment purpose. When it looks like a discussion type thing I look forward to putting in my 2 cents. I would evaluate the purpose of the whole thing and then decide if you want a disscussion blog or a ranting type blog or both. Either way I will keep checking in everyday!!

Sirdar said...

Thanks for your comment Ken. I don't really know which way I want to take the blog. I might just keep going and do what the heck I feel like that day. There is so much to rant about but that only makes one bitter. I'll figure it out. Thanks for checking in. I have your blog on a rss feed but I notice it hasn't changed for quite some time :-)