Stuff You Are Not Supposed to Know About...Shhhh!!
Also known as Stuff The Canadian Public Should Know About!
Stuff You Are Not Supposed To Know About
More Stuff You Are Not Supposed To Know About
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know About
Also known as Stuff The Canadian Public Should Know About!
Stuff You Are Not Supposed To Know About
More Stuff You Are Not Supposed To Know About
Stuff They Don't Want You To Know About
Posted by
Sirdar
on
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
6 comments:
I notice it as the headline in the Journal and the Globe and Mail this morning, so I'm assuming the publication ban was lifted. Haven't had a chance to actually read the paper yet, though.
These guys *do* deserve a thrashing, but I'm still not 100% convinced I want to live under the rule of Prime Minister Stephen Harper...
Sounds like I can throw back that question you once asked me...what are you afraid of? Other than the same sex issue what else would make you afraid of him?
If I look at the present and past Liberal regimes where they have wasted multi-millions of dollars on their friends and other programs (gun registry, flag give away, HRDC Boondoggle, National Energy Program...OK thats and old one but I do remember!!) I personally think it is time to give someone else a chance to hopefully right some wrongs. It seems though that the media has painted quite a radical picture of Mr. Harper as some extremist. Take a look at what he stands for and then tell me he is bad and why.
I guess I'm afraid of more neo-liberal, 'economic rationalist', race to the lowest taxes (and here's the rub, the least services) stuff. I guess those are all labels, but basically the conservatives under Harper (or anyone else) stand for that mentality: privately owned is better than publicly owned, everywhere, all the time. We can see how well electricity deregulation has worked, everywhere it's been tried, and the murder of public education that's going on in Australia at the moment works about as well.
These particular Liberals were cheating scumbags, no doubt about it. But the different ideological bases of the parties do mean something, and the parties on the right do stand for a policy direction that worries me for all sorts of reasons.
Bravus,
Ever since I was a wee boy and able to vote I have always voted against the Liberals. The Liberals to me stand for more government interference in our lives. Im not so sure the Harper Conservatives are planning to outsource the government like you may think. As for deregulation of electricity, that is a provincial matter, not federal. As for things like Health Care I've read many commentaries as to how Alberta's health care is far and above most of the rest of Canada. Does that mean it's perfect? Nope. There is room for improvement. As for outsourcing there have been private clinics thoughout Canada that have been doing business for years. And that is through all the provinces. Even Klien's way would not stop medicare in the province, it would only give an alternative and maybe take some of the pressure off the system.
So I ask you, is the federal Conservatives platform of "privately owned is better than publicly owned" a fact? Oh and you are right, those are all labels.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on politics! I'll just note that the 'conservative' government south of the border doesn't seem to be doing so well on reducing government interference in people's lives...
I guess in Canada we'll get to see what happens with a Harper Conservative government if they get in. Actually, it could be that a lot of people will vote NDP, but not enough to get them into government - what happens if it's a minority government for Harper? ;)
To move to slightly less contentious ground, I wonder whether all this Adscam nonsense will reinvigorate Quebec separatism (I heard someone on the radio who thought so), but on the other side, an attitude in the rest of Canada that would be willing to let them go? Given the direction of the equalisation payments etc., and then a few hundred million funneled to the Quebecois to keep them happy, and they still want to go their own way... why not let them? Make the rest of Canada richer...
Nice deflection!! :-) It's funny but I was just reading a comment from some about what Canadian Values are. The link is here: http://www.torontofreepress.com/2005/klaus041405.htm
As for American politics I don't really know what each part stands for. Even in Canadian politics I don't see a lot of difference between the PC's or the Liberals except we can see what the Liberals are like. Like you once wrote in your blog...(and I paraphrase here liberally) some people like to live in fear and perpetuate their lives around it. Others just say whatever. Who is in fear now? Like I asked...what are you afraid of? Is it better to keep the devil you know than the one you don't?
As for Quebec, your comments bring up what has been said for many years out here in the wild west.
Post a Comment