Fibonacci
Have you ever heard of Fibonacci? Me either...until yesterday. The lead Quality Auditor that I am assisting told me about Fibonacci. It is a pattern of numbers that can be found in many things natural, like pine cones, sunflowers, flowers, honeycombs and bees, and many other forms of nature. I don't totally understand it but it is fascinating.
If you want to see and learn about this fascinating phenomenon here is a link that will explain it:
Fibonacci Numbers and Nature
3 comments:
Very cool, isn't it? Sequences and series is a really interesting part of math, just because it does connect so well with the world around us. The bit where it doesn't matter which way up the fraction goes is even cooler!
Unfortunately I don't understand the theory 100% but I can see visually what he has come up with. It is very interesting how it does fit in nature. I would imagine there are quite a few math sequences that follow nature. One day I'll bet they find a lot of others that will hopefully understand deseases and will be able to cure them.
Do you teach Fibonacci in your classes?
It's more of a math thing than a science one, so I don't teach it these days but did when I was teaching high school math. It's very cool, and there are quite a few similar patterns. There are also very irregular patterns in nature that require complexity science to describe them, and that mix of simple systems that can be described with a very simple relationship versus seemingly simple situations that are incredibly complex is another area of interest.
Post a Comment