Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Blogger Vs. Wordpress

Lately I have been trying to update my blog. I know what you are saying..."obviously not the content." :-) That I can't help. But I can change the look and I have, a bit.

I've been trying to use some of the templates that are "out there" in the Blogger World. I finally figured out that if I revert back to the "classic" blogger from the beta.blogger I can use some of the templates that others have developed. I've tried a few and there have been little issues but I am sure I could figure out what I need to do to make them the way I want. However, when I try to upgrade to the beta.blogger, it forces me back to using the standard templates on the Blogger site. I don't want to do that. Now, I realize that beta.blogger is just that...beta. Maybe in the future when they go "gold" on Blogger, those templates will work just fine.

So...I went over to Wordpress and I was pleasantly surprised. Not so much because they have different templates, but the fact that they have 100's of templates that they call themes, and there is not Beta anything. I started a blog there and just played around to see what I can do with it. Every template that I used, worked perfectly to import anything that I had there. They have 1, 2, and 3 column templates. Any colour you want. You can even use your own pictures at the top of the blog if you want. They seem to have made it easy. So I am going to play with it a bit more to see if I like it and if I do I may take this blog over there.

I know that there are thousands of blog hosts out there but I don't really have the time to check them all out. I see that Joy at A Spot of T uses Typepad but it looks like you have to pay for it and it also looks like it is more of a business type blog service. Joy's isn't a business blog, its just a good one!!

So I ask you...have you had any or know of anyone who has had any issues with Wordpress? If you have never seen them before take a look: Wordpress
Wordpress Themes There are probably lots more that what is there as, just like Blogger, there are many sites that have templates or themes.
This is my favourite: Testblog See the little boxes at the top? Click them.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've used Typepad before and you are restricted on the themes. Unless you pay for the most expensive option.
It is a good service though.

I'm using Wordpress now. I like it. I'm not really concerned about different themes for my blog but there are 100's available. And there are widgets and other cool stuff you can try or use.

I do have another blog I'm using for testing purposes at the moment. I've downloaded themes for it. It's pretty cool to work with..

Sirdar said...

Here is my Wordpress address:
Sirdar Inc.
Let me know what you think.

I found out I couldn't use the template I want unless I host the site myself. Don't want to do that. The picture at the top is of my place earlier this fall..after the first snow.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about Wordpress when I first started blogging otherwise I really think I would have gone with them. The only blog I knew about was blogspot and I kept having trouble with it. I am completely computer illiterate so I needed something I didn't have to put too much thought into and Typepad was easy for me to set up for some reason. Now I won't ever leave probably. I've heard nothing but great things about Wordpress. I like your new home at Wordpress and love the picture you used. I swear we have the most beautiful winters here.

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

I've heard people whispering about Wordpress, and it's usually good things. I'll have to check out your link!

Debbie said...

It looks great! I'm going to check it out for myself.

Thanks for passing on the info.

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

Wordpress is great Sirdar. Trust me I know because I have done my research on almost everything out there...I have to say that I like blogger better because it is all around more compatible with the rest of the internet world, for example, GOOGLE...

Google will eventually rule the internet world and be interrelated with all things surfing so good luck withwordpress but I will stick with y6a' no matter what...

If you needed help with template stuff, allyou had to do was ask, you know that right?

Later buddy...

Sirdar said...

Well Blu...if I decide to stay with Blogger I will ask your advice on implementing some of the templates that I would like to use. Beta.blogger won't let me use them. I have to use the standard Blogger templates. I see in Wordpress I do too...unless I host somewhere and I don't have a host. I could though as I have my own domain....

Bravus said...

As you know, I've been using Wordpress for a couple of years now and been very happy with it. I do host it myself, and that's a bit more technical to set up, but actually not that bad... and the software is very well written and well supported with tutorials and so on. I see from a later post that you've gone ahead and moved there. I'll switch the link to your blog on my blog when I get back home and am not on dialup. Nice work on the new site.

Joey Polanski said...

I checkd out yer WordPress blog.

I might start postin coments there, if youll stop requirin that a e-mail address be left.

Joey dont do e-mail address.

Anonymous said...

Note to Joey,
I've taken it off but will put it back depending on how the spam type comments go. If I do later put it back on, just fake it. I'll be OK with that.