Tuesday, November 28, 2006

How Cold Is It?

This afternoon on the way home I saw a polar bear standing at the side of the road holding his paws over his crotch!! :-)

OK...its only -27°C out there right now and it is expected to go down to around -30°C as a low. The temperature isn't the issue...its the wind chill that goes along with it that, according to Environment Canada will make it feel like -38°C. Time to plug the car in!! Need to find an extension cord for tomorrow as it is only going to a high of -20°C. But at least it is supposed to warm up to -6°C on Thursday!!

11 comments:

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

It hasn't ever been that cold in Texas that I know of but I remember having to plug in the truck several years ago...

I'll be moving to Missouri soon and it gets quite a bit colder there. In a way, I am looking forward to it...

Chalice said...

Okay now I am so incredibly jealous!!! A polar bear was standing on the side of the road???!!! Nevermind where his paw was **snicker** but just the fact you have them standing on the side of the road excites me to no end!

As for your temps, well, ummmmm... I don't envy you there. After thinking about it, I seriously doubt I will do much complaining about how cold it gets around here this year!

Kim said...

It is extremely cold here as well. There is lots of extra work keeping the log house warm in -34 temperatures.

Anonymous said...

Well, it hit 40 here yesterday... +40 that is. See, when we get that
teleporter going, we can both sauna out in Brisbane then go roll in
the snow in Spruce Grove! Until then, I guess we're both stuck with
our respective extremes...

Sirdar said...

It was -33°C on my thermometer. The radio said it was -36°C at the International Airport. With the wind chill....it was DAMN cold!!

It is starting to get warmer though. It is supposed to be -7°C for a high tomorrow.

Blu: I doubt it gets that cold in Missouri. Be thankful for that.

Beautifulmind: We don't actually have polar bears here. They are way up north in the North West Territories, Nunavut, Alaska, and I think the Yukon might have some. The temperatures that we have...they have up there too though. But they can get extremely cold up there.

Kim: I heard that it was cold in BC. The snow storm in Vancouver must have been something too. You guys are starting to have prairie weather.

Bravus: Piss off!! :-))) +40°C is just nuts. I'll stick with -30°C. I can put clothes on to stay warm but I can't take more off when it gets that hot. I've never experienced that type of heat...and I'm not sure I want to. Well...maybe one day in say January.

Zaak said...

That's awesome. At least the polar bear wasn't in the middle of the road. Dodging those on icy roads isn't fun at all.

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

We have ice on the streets here. I actually had to COOK today. Crap. Didn't see any bears, however. Did see a few squirrels, but I think they were hiding nuts.. not holding them. Well, or looking for hidden nuts. I'm not sure on how that all works :)

Stay warm!! Cuddle up with that cute famly :)

Seriously, I hate word verification. This will be my 3rd attempt. Is it TOTALLY necessary to not only force me to type in a silly string of letters, but to ALSO blur them across the screen?? K, tantrum over :) Unless I GO FOR 4 TRIES!

MonkeyBoy said...

(Monkey is blogging with me, and wanted to comment :) So I am typing his questions/comments)

What is it like in Canada? I bet there is many different types of food. Did the polar bear hide inside of a cave? Is he OK? A POLAR BEAR holding his BALLS?? Wow.

Sirdar said...

Monkey: Canada is a lot like where you are from in a lot of ways. we have cities just like you do. In fact the metropolitan area of the city I live near is just over 1 million people. Probably not as big a city area that you live near but big enough. We eat pretty much the same types of food that you do. The polar bear comment I made was just a joke. There are no polar bears where I live. But there are polar bears up in northern Canada.

One neat thing that a lot of people from your country don't know is that in the summertime on June 21, where our city is located, our sundown is close to 11pm and sunrise is around 5am. The farther up north you go the later the sundown and the earlier the sunrise. However, in the winter it is the opposite. The sundown at December 21 is around 4pm.

You will have to convince your mom and dad to come up here for a holiday. They would really like it. If you have any more question, please ask.

MonkeyBoy said...

Thank you for answering my questions. How long do children usually play? (he's asking because it's light until 11 and he's obviously thinking about the possibilities! :))

Sirdar said...

MonkeyBoy: The children play until their bed time. The time on the clocks don't change so they still have to go to bed at their bed time. However, it is harder to go to sleep when the sun is still shining. Way up in northern Canada, for about 4 to 6 months of the year, the sun doesn't really leave. It might go down and look like it does at dusk, but for most of the summer you can read a newspaper outside at midnight. But of course in the winter, the sun doesn't come up for very long.