Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Streak Is Over :-(

Commonwealth Stadium
View Looking North. Taken shortly after the opening kickoff.
Click the picture for full view

The streak stops at 34 years. What streak? For 34 consecutive years the Edmonton Eskimos have made the playoffs. But not this year. We lost 28-25 to the Toronto Argonauts today at Commonwealth Stadium. The Saskatchewan Roughriders beat the Montreal Alouettes last night which puts us 6 points behind Saskatchewan with 2 games left in the season. Well...its been a good run. Mind you there have been a few years that we have been lucky to get into the playoffs. Thank goodness we have Saskatchewan in our division.

I am sure there will be quite a number of changes over the off season. Will the head coach Danny Maciocia be let go? Will he be going to Montreal like the rumours have said? Only time will tell.

The Esks still have 2 more games. These 2 games will tell which players have the character within them to put on an Eskimo jersey and show their commitment to the organization. As they say...Once and Eskimo, Always an Eskimo!!


Commonwealth Stadium
This is from our seats on the West side looking east. The announced crowd today was 39,505.



Keeping Warm
What some people won't do to keep warm :-)
PS: The sign on the track says "Smoking Cuts 15 Football Seasons off your Life"

The Esks will be back to bring the cup home again!! Hey...they did it last year!! You can't win them all....

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Since I'm not into football I can't really comment on that. :0)
But I am amazed at the photographs that your camera takes! They're awesome.

Sirdar said...

Thanks Debbie. I wish I could say it was pure talent but alas, I just use the skill I took from our old Cannon EOS Rebel SLR and try to duplicate that with our new digital. I would get another Kodak if I wanted to upgrade.

Debbie said...

I should have actually said that I'm amazed at the photographs that YOU take with your camera. ;)

Bravus said...

D'oh! Sad story for the Esks... Hopefully they'll be back bigger, badder and better next year.

Bravus said...

Though with scantily clad people drinking bubbly in the hot tub on the sidelines, the streak might just be about to begin again!

Anonymous said...

what!? They're not in the playoffs! What a travesty!

Didn't they win last year? Or the year before?

Sirdar said...

Yes Cibby...they did win last year. From Champs to Chumps in one year. Oh well...LETS GO OILERS!!!!

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

Football. Meh :) But I'm glad you had such a great time, sorry your team lost. I love the word Argonaut, though. Don't know why, always did. Sorreeeyyyy!

Zaak said...

Definitely great photos. I miss going to the games, I'd try and catch 3 or 4 each season. Such a great crowd atmosphere.

I gotta say, a league with only 8 teams and a season of only 18 games! Very easy to get knocked out of the playoffs with a little bad luck, and with some good luck, very easy to make it into the playoffs. Eskimos will be back next year with a vengeance.

And the West Division is way tougher too and the Eskimos won all their games in that division (and lost all their games against the east!!). Hmmm...

Zaak said...

Hey Sirdar, did they miss the appendix the first time? What's with 6 days and no posts?