Sunday, October 01, 2006

Cultural Experience with the ESO


Dawn and I went to the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra's (ESO) Classic Landmarks Masters at the Winspear Centre last night as a guest of Darren Salyn, our children's Big Drum teacher who was playing percussion with the ESO last night. I have never been to the Winspear Centre before and it is quite the concert hall as you can see by this interactive Views of the Winspear Stage page and this Inside the Francis Winspear Centre Interactive tour. Check out the links if you have never been in it before.


Last nights feature was of the Davis Concert Organ played by Patrick Wedd and conducted by William Eddins. It is HUGE as you can tell by the picture above. However, organ music doesn't really do much for me. Fortunately, the organ was mostly used as part of the concert and not the whole concert as the whole Symphony was playing. The first half of the concert featured the Davis Concert Organ but the second half did not and was a lot more lively. This was the concert program:
Program:
Jongen – Symphonie concertante, Op.81
Ravel – Alborada del gracioso
Ravel – Le Tombeau de Couperin
Ravel – La valse

It was a good cultural experience and I think I would like to go again one day. If you haven't been to the Symphony, I would recommend that you go...even just to say that you have experienced it.

2 comments:

Cibbuano said...

hm, when I was in Edmonton, the ESO was having trouble staying above water... I guess they're all good now?

Sirdar said...

The ESO was having issues a few years ago. They brought in the William Ebbins and things have apparently turned around.