Chicken Run
Today we did the chickens. This is not to be confused with the sport enjoyed by many New Zealanders/Aussies/Scots called...Doing the Sheep.
We only did 52 today...and 42 a few weeks ago. I was the Executioner and one of the chicken pluckers. Since we split with two other families we came home with 31 chickens. What may you ask are we going to do with 31 chickens? Eat them of course :-)
There are six people in our family. We are able to enjoy chickens, eggs, beef, milk, etc. from the farm. Dawn's parents still farm full time and her sisters have a hobby farm a few miles away from their parents farm. From the cream off the milk we make butter. In a couple of weeks will be doing the turkeys. (See comment above about chickens for clarification.) I don't know how many there are but my youngest daughter, who is sitting beside me as I type this, thinks there are 14 turkeys. Last year we had HUGE turkeys. They wouldn't fit in 50 pound bags. We had some smoked too. They made some great meals taste good...with our garden vegetables. It is also good that Dawn is a good cook. One advantage of marrying a farm girl...
11 comments:
Dude, you're living the dream.
Zaak. Is this your dream? Speaking of dreaming...I hope you enjoy you "package". :-)
Just like Zaak said, "Dude, you're living the dream..."
I agree, I would love to live on the farm and pretty soon will be that much closer. I am moving to Missouri and very close to the Amish country where I will do most of my shopping for produce and such, I can't wait. I mean I can't wait to get to the love of my life either, hehehehe....
Glad to have you back Hom...I mean Sirdar...*chuckling under my breath a bit*
Enjoy all that poultry...
Later...
Sure, my dream, his dream, her dream, The Dream.
All those fresh and tasty veggies and fresh and tasty unprocessed meatses. Mmmmmmm.
I don't know, I got as far as the first paragraph in 'did the chickens' and 'did the sheep' and I'm disturbed now.
I used to spend my summer's on a Black Angus farm, and loved it! I'm a country girl at heart :) Oh, wait, I live in Kansas City. What am I talking about :)
Now stop doing the sheep. And the chickens. I'm going to call PETA!!
You know, Blu, I have not yet given my full approval of this moving thing. And you know Chal listens to everything I say :) BWAhahaha! Yah, oh well. But you're lucky she's talked about it, or I'd be calling her and asking, "WHAT?!?!?".
People...Doing the Sheep = Sheep Shearing!! What did you think I was talking about? :-)
I'm a firm believer in killing whatever it is you want to eat, I think we'd have a lot more vegetarians in the world if that was the "rule" - me included. I helped butcher chickens once and was exceedingly grossed out, that gunk that oozes out when their feathers are plucked - yuck. But I can sure believe you guys have some tasty meals around your place with all your free range meat and garden produce, yum!
Hmmmmm?
I've never done a chicken, but my grandad always told me, try everything once. Would love to live that life. One day perhaps . . .
Hi Paul,
Welcome back to the blogging world. I haven't been back since you shut your blog down.
As for your comment...I hope you are referring to the process of killing, feather plucking, and gutting of the chickens...not the other thing right? :-)
Post a Comment