To PC or to Mac? That is the Question...
'Tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of Microsoft Windows XP and future Vista, or to venture into the unknown world of Mac OS X Tiger and future Mac OS X Leopard?
I haven't made a decision yet but I am thinking of upgrading the computer situation. The machine I have now is a 1998/99 vintage that was a throw-away from my friend David. It is a P3-600. Definitely not a screamer compared to todays technology but it has worked admirably since I received it. But there have been a few times that the vintage has limited some of the use of the new technology. For instance, it only has USB 1.1 where pretty much all USB peripherals use USB 2.0. I have had to take something back because it wouldn't work on my machine. Any new software that is considered now must be looked at to make sure my machine meets at least the minimum system requirements. In a lot of case we are sitting just above the minimum. Some of the games that my son buys can't be run on the machine because it doesn't meet the minimum requirements of the processor or the video card. I also worry a bit about the longevity of the hard drives. I know I should be backing up, and I was for a while but burning in 7, 8, 10 disks takes a lot of time. I could get an external hard drive and I might one day but the USB might be an issue.
So if I was to get a new computer, I am leaning toward a Mac. Why? From people I have talked to about them they never seem to have the issues that most PC users complain about...like BSOD's. Fortunately I haven't had one for quite a while, but the PC has locked up occasionally when the kids are playing their games. Mac's now have the dual Intel processors and they can run Windows XP as a dual boot. Mac's cost more but you get a lot more. A comparable PC with all the programs that you need to buy in order to match the Mac would cost more than a Mac so you kind of get what you pay for. I hear Mac's are more user friendly too. That is good for the wife and kids, although they seem to be able to do what they need to through just using the PC and from watching me.
So, from your experiences and your friends experiences, what is the better way to go and why? PC or Mac? What are the advantages of a PC over Mac or a Mac over PC? What are the disadvantages of a PC over Mac or a Mac over PC? Enquiring minds are listening...
4 comments:
I think for everything other than for gaming, and particularly for all the kinds of things you guys do, a Mac is a better buy. Even for gaming, with a dual boot XP install (but remember that will cost extra), there's no real gaming penalty either. So if you can convince the Chancellor of the Excheqeur (aka Dawn), I'd suggest going for the Mac.
I'm not really an expert on this, but I think I might be leaning towards Apple... they put work into their design, and when they say their computers are fast, they mean fast.
If you can run XP and still play games, why not?
Mac. Do it! I recommend the new iMac. Make sure and get an educational discount. Load up the RAM at macramdirect (buy the iMac with minimum RAM and then buy 2 GB online at a discount). I've purchased 3 Macs (iMac G4, upgraded to a iMac G5 3 years later, a PowerBook G4 3 years ago that still runs great!) and I'll never switch to Windows.
Benefits: OSX, iLife, awesome speed, so easy to use, built in beautiful flat screen, included software (World Book encyclopedia, Quicken, iChat, Dashboard), no viruses, working with photos-audios-videos is very fun.
Thanks for the advice Zaak. I'm seeing Carl this Friday at the MyMacDealer store he works at. I'll mention the student discount part as I do have 4 kids that are home schooled and they need a computer :-)
Post a Comment