Men Are Smarter Than Women!!
Like we didn't know that already... :-)))))
OK ladies...before you blast me with hate mail, I didn't make this up!!
Men smarter, prof claims
What I find even more interesting is that this isn't the first study that makes that claim.
10 comments:
While obviously unacceptable on a "Politically Correct" perspective, I think that we shouldn't be afraid to find out what exactly are the differences between races and sexes empirically. Sure some of it may turn out to be socio-economical, but in the end there are obviously genetic differences, and although on an individual level you have to evaluate everyone separately, it wouldn't hurt to know how the differences trend.
But 'intelligence' is such a constructed concept anyway: if you ask a (thoughtful) psychologist what intelligence is, they'll say 'it's what intelligence tests measure'. That is, you change the definition when you change the test. It's pretty easy to make the argument that this finding shows that the test was biased, rather than anything real about sex differences. I actually like Howard Gardner's 'multiple intelligences' idea, which says we all have differing intelligence in seven different fields. It seems much more realistic than a single number.
Well David, I have to agree that a test does not necessarily prove intelligence, it only proves that you remember some fact which in turn means you apparently understand the answer. When I was in high school I found that all it proved is if I remembered some fact or remembered how to do something. Granted, there were many things that I remembered which meant that I learnt something.
As for this intelligence issue, I still find it interesting that three studies back up the claim. As it wasn't a particular test that the results were derived, it makes you wonder. It isn't politically correct to say what they are saying and many will just write it off as some nutbar making a claim. I personally don't think women are dumber than men, just as I don't think black people are dumber than white people. Everyone has intelligence. It is how it is used that makes the person.
Coupla things:
1. An IQ test isn't really about factual recall: try one of the online ones at Tickle.com for a feeling for how they test thinking ability, pattern recognition and so on.
2. I think the tests these guys used, like the SAT, and the tests the other studies cited used, were much more likely to include factual recall as well as culturally biased questions and so on. They are *not* psychologically tested and validated intelligence tests, and so results on them cannot be said to be measures of intelligence.
3. The fact that this guy has also 'proved' that black people are less intelligent doesn't make me trust his research any more highly!
4. I don't think it's about political correctness, but about good scientific research methods... which these studies don't exhibit. Basically, it seems as though he has an axe to grind and conducts studies that will allow him to do so.
5. Even if good research was done that shows men are more intelligent than women, there are *still* questions about (a) how intelligence is defined - if the definition favours things that men are better at, then it's unsurprising if they're better at them! and (b) how the sexes are treated differently in parenting and schooling that leads to some of those differences - in other words, are they innate or culturally created?
I'm absolutely not saying men and women are exactly the same - vive la difference! But 'better' is not a useful concept when talking about the differences, IMO.
Personally, I don't think IQ tests test intelligence. I am going to assume you do because you are in the "intelligence game". :-) It is merely an observation on my part and the fact that you teach teachers. You are intelligent in that respect where I wouldn't be able to teach teachers. However, I do teach/train people at work. I need the intelligence to know what I am talking about before I teach/train. I think everyone is intelligent in different ways.
I did not post this to say that I agree with the research. I don't trust a lot of research.
University of Western Ontario? Pfft :) He made up all those statistics because he can't get a date. Most likely a 50 year old virgin. And now that he has published his idiotic theory, he'll never get laid.
But.. you keep tryin' Sirdar :)
Uh Naughty...4 kids :-) And yes they are mine.
And I agree...University of Western Ontario...pfft. The University of Alberta...now thats a university!!
Sirdar, the mental midget that wrote the article.. not you. If I'm going to insult YOU I'll be MUCH more clear :) BWahahah :)
THe University of Western Ontario is located in the Town I live (London), employers don't like to hire people who graduates from there (go figure), that's why a lot of people who realizes this half way, transfer themselves to college. Now....this fucktard is just that, a fucktard. I see someone who has strong "opinions" about people of certain races and women, who is trying to "prove" they are inferior, this doesn't look like a objective study.
Diane. I don't take much stock in what he was saying. You make some valid observations.
Post a Comment