Lorne has Left the Building
To be exact, he is in the hospital. Dawn (the wife) here, blogging by proxy. Lorne gave me permission to post a blog. He thought people would worry; he gets high speed and drops off the face of the earth.
Anyway, he got a tummy ache Saturday about 10 pm. He thought the pink medicine and sleep would help but alas he felt worse Sunday morning and asked me to take him in to emerg. I accommodated and thus began our very long day. We arrived at the local hospital at around 9 am and were taken care of well, however anyone that goes to emerg knows it is not quick. Lorne was questioned, poked and prodded and given drugs for the pain. He wasn't allowed food or drink and despite the pain he was famished. He eventually got transferred to Edmonton. I drove him there because 'it would be faster than taking the ambulance'(the doctor's words not mine). We arrived about 2:30 pm and after waiting in various places in which he was questioned, poked and prodded, Lorne was placed on the surgery list and eventually (about 6:30 pm) arrived in a room. He went for surgery to remove his appendix shortly after 9 pm. He was out shortly after 11:00 and felt really good.
Today he was sore but was mending well. He hopes to be arriving home tomorrow, but it depends on how he is progressing. This evening he had a bit higher fever than this morning. That could be the excitement of the day, lying around, going for a walk, lying around some more, and the numerous trips to the loo due to the IV. We will see in the morning. He is currently on a soft food diet which isn't his regular fair. He is disappointed that he may not be able to enjoy steak on his birthday on Wednesday. I guess I will have to take him out a week late. We have gone for wings with some friends for his birthday other years. I guess that is out too. As a matter of fact, I am sensing he has messed up this birthday completely.
Speaking of messing up. We had scheduled an outhouse moving party for late Sunday afternoon. We had people coming over to move the outhouse and have a barbecue after. Lorne picked a strange way of getting out of that job. We will persist. We will move the outhouse another day, albeit without Lorne's lifting help. He can't lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. That's what he told me (I think I will check with the doctor on that time frame though).
That is all for now. Lorne should be back soon and will update you further on his condition and that of the outhouse.
The Other Half
8 comments:
D'oh! Sorry to hear about the surgery, delighted it went well and he's getting up and about again (at least enough to whinge about the food!) Please pass on our best wishes for a smooth and quick recovery, and wait on him hand and foot. :p You know we'd help if we were there!
Appendicitis! No more appendix! That's like removing all the comments from your blog! Serious stuff. I'm glad they removed it in time.
Cheers buddy! Looking forward to a detailed account of what the pain was like. Happy birthday!
I'm alive and home now. They said there wasn't anything more they could do for me at the hospital. The only concern is that fever that keeps coming up. I don't know if it was that high but the most they measured was 38.8°C. I just took some Tylenol because I felt like it was rising again. They took some blood samples last night to see if there was any infection. I'll find out soon I hope.
One of the coolest things about getting your appendix out is that your bowels do not work for the first little while. I've never seen so many people encourage me to fart in my life. I told them I don't get the same encouragement at home and in fact it is not appreciated at home...or in public. Well...the bowel is starting to work. I had my first bit of solid food this morning since Saturday nights supper. Two eggs, two pieces of toast. Dawn cooked me a hamburger for lunch...no bun. Once that starts going through I will feel a lot better I hope.
I am still pretty sore. Getting in and out of bed is extremely painful. Getting in and out of chairs is just painful. Even sitting in a chair hurts. Pushing on the stomach hurts too. Walking hurts also. I think a lot of it is because of gas. But I don't mind the pain as I know it just means it is healing. In a couple of days i am sure it will be close to back to normal. At least they did it arthroscopicaly and not with an incision. It will make the healing process a lot faster.
Thanks all who commented, phoned, emailed,and visited.
Excellent to see you back and in full (or at least half) effect! I knew you'd recovered somewhat when a comment appeared on my blog. Glad to hear you're on the mend, and hope the temperature thing sorts itself out easily, and the pain goes away... g'wan, fart that pain out! ;)
Holy cow!!! I'm glad you're going to live! I've heard of them building up gas and spontaneously exploding.. bursting through the skin like Alien!!! WOAH!!! Oh, OK, perhaps not :) And perhaps that story would only have been fun BEFORE your surgery ;)
Listen to your doctor's orders, and be careful. Only steak puree on your birthday!! Mmmm :)
Good to hear you're recovering. Appendix! I didn't realize that could happen as an adult!
What caused the inflammation?
Cibby, I have no idea as to what caused it.
Naughty...steak, no puree!! :-)
Wow sorry to hear. I'm glad you're ok now.
Post a Comment