Saturday, August 05, 2006

History Camp

Just got back from History Camp. It was near Elk Point at the Fort George/Buckingham House Historic Site. There were 40 people who came. Six families. You do the math. It was organized by the Wisdom Homeshcool Board, of which we are registered.

The camp was to learn about the fur trade in that area and get a bit of a history of the fur trade in the early days. Fort George was run by the North West Company (NWC)and Buckingham House was run by the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) which any Canadian knows that HBC is still in business today. It was quite interesting to see the old sites.

About the only unfortunate part of the trip was the fact we actually went a day earlier than we should have. It appears Dawn erred in the date/day continuum. Oh well...it just gave us an opportunity to go to Cold Lake. There we checked out the 4 Wing base at Cold Lake looking for the museum. Apparently the museum isn't at the base. It is at the other end of the upper part of Cold Lake. The museum is the old radar site. It is a work in progress but is actually quite good. I would recommend it should you make it there.

Another thing the trip to Cold Lake early meant was that we got to visit with my birth mother longer than if we would have gone when we had planned. We hadn't seen her for a few years now...about 4 or 5 I think. For her age (80+) she can hear better than me. Nothing got passed her and she never once asked us to repeat anything. She is still pretty sharp even if the body isn't as mobile as it used to be. We had a pretty nice visit. She really enjoyed the kids and the kids liked her too. She lives in a really old small place in the lower part of Cold Lake...down near the lake. She moved there from Elk Point because some of her family lives there. However, now that she isn't as mobile, she wishes she was back in Elk Point where she had many friends. I hope she makes it back but I would imagine moving at her age would be pretty tough.

Another thing we found out during this trip is how little room a minivan actually has. As the kids get bigger, so do the things that come with camping. We were in there like sardines. We have another camp in September down at Cyprus Hills. It is a geology camp. We are thinking of either getting a roof carrier or taking the truck because taking the van isn't much of an option.

Anyway...we all had a good time and now it is time to rest........

4 comments:

Cibbuano said...

I've been to Cold Lake! I played rugby against the military guys, and we lost handily...

Sirdar said...

Yes those military boys are in pretty good shape and know a thing or two about getting rough I am sure. Playing rugby would be "fun" for them....

Zaak said...

Sounds like a great place to learn in a natural environment. I really appreciate that about your family, willing to make the extra effort to make education meaningful rather than leaving it to an artificial learning environment at school. How did you guys decide to homeschool your kids?

Sirdar said...

Zaak,
To find the answer talk to Dawn when you come back to Edmonton for a visit. It was a decision that she made as she would have to be the one to do it since I have this job thing that gets in the way of being home. It isn't a one or two sentence answer so I would be best to talk to her. Heck...you might even want to teach Blaise in the future but you won't know unless you find out what it is all about.