Saturday, July 15, 2006

Thank Goodness I was Born In Canada

There are days you just have to give thanks that you were born in the right place. Not to say there are no other nice places but really you can't fault being born in Canada. We have so many things that others around the world can't even fathom.

We have a general security knowing that some crazed dictator isn't going to jail us for questioning the government...and we still bitch about our government. We have a health care system that is the envy of many around the world. Our crime rates are not outrageous. We have a freedom of religion should we choose to follow a religion. We don't have to worry too much that some country is going to bomb us or attack us. Mind you that might have something to do with the price of gas these days. Could you imagine running some tank across the country and filling up on these prices?

What makes me feel the most fortunate is being so far away from what is going on in the Middle East (Israel/Lebanon/Syria/Iran/Afghanistan/Iraq) , the Asian Pacific (Korea), East India (India/Pakistan), and Africa (Sudan and other military regimes). It is getting to be a scary world out there. I just hope this isn't the start of World War Three. Probably not because most of the issues are between a few countries but some, like the Middle East conflicts pulls in countries from around the world. The Korean situation makes security of the world a bit shaky. I have this feeling that there will be more turmoil before there is peace. I am just feeling fortunate that we at least are not doing the provoking. Mind you we don't exactly have the military to do much. As much as we slam the Americans, you know that if someone did decide that Canada is a nice place to conquer, they would defend us just like I am sure we would do for them should they ever be in conflict with someone trying to conquer them.

I pray (even though I am agnostic) that the situations around the world can be sorted out. I am glad that Canada is a multicultural county. Maybe those countries could take a few pointers from us about certain tolerances. But I'm not holding my breath on that. Perhaps I should stop reading the news. They say Ignorance is Bliss.

2 comments:

Cibbuano said...

I was talking about this last night with a friend. I mentioned how, when I moved to China, it was a great feeling being away from the news and the media.

These are, indeed, scary times. It feels like the tensions in the world are reachin some kind of breaking point.

Bravus said...

Yep, Canada is absolutely one of the Lucky Countries in the world: and actually, in some ways it's as much about good management and good sense as about good luck. (Well, that and ruthless oppression of the indigenous people...) We've chatted about this before: Canadians and Aussies are born with no hereditary enemies, and that's actually a relatively rare thing in the world. Decent healthcare and relatively low crime and a whole bunch of other things mean we need to count our blessings.

As to what's going on in the Middle East... feh, I just throw my hands up. No solution short of a change of heart...