Freedom to Oppress
Interesting look at how the Charter Of Rights and Freedoms can be used to limit freedom of rights.
Freedom to Oppress
Interesting look at how the Charter Of Rights and Freedoms can be used to limit freedom of rights.
Freedom to Oppress
Posted by
Sirdar
on
Monday, March 13, 2006
8 comments:
Yes, it's a major failing with our 'equality for all' system. An equal voice for everyone means that people with grudges and bad intentions can use up valuable resources and time.
Sometimes, totalitarianism seems pretty good. Especially if I was the Generalissimo....
I never said I have a problem with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. And the link does have something which shows how the Charter can be used in a way that limits points of view...whether we agree or not with that point of view is irrelevant.
you know... i was thinking that the greatest threat to our rights and freedoms, is actually US. We give them up voluntarily. The reason we give them up is fear. Were afraid of someone stealing our identities, were afraid of terrorists, were afraid of corruption, were afraid of letting our children walk to the local store. - everything!!
So what do we do?? we give up our rights. We give our governments more power to tell us what to do , we allow restrictions to move freely from one place to another, we even start entertaining putting gps devices into our children!!
Do you remember star wars 3?? When all the planets gave total power to the guy who was able to stand up against "the evils" in the world - just to find out that they let thier fears give up everything they had?. Even thier lives eventually.
When i think of the rights of the people , i always think that Im giving up more than they are taking . - you think??
ken
Dalban,
You may have a point there. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly that the Alberta Human Rights Commission was an arm to uphold the Canadian Charter. I'll have to check that out. If you know where to find that info let me know.
Ken,
There is a fine line between rights and security. Sometimes the security takes precedent over rights and it is that argument that sometimes pushes an agenda to limit rights. I think the US has shown that the citizens have lost some of their right in the name of security.
So I did a little research and found the Alberta Human Rights and Citizen Commission web site:
Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission
I also sent a letter to the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission to find out the difference between the Alberta Human Rights Law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and why we have or need both.
heavy stuff... I agree with dalban that the article was an editorial, and so should not be taken as an official news story.
But still, I think a lot of that kind of abuse goes on in Canada and the US. Since we have all these avenues to ensure people can have a voice, it means that every crackpot that wants to be heard has a voice, too.
Voltaire's "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" is relevant on both sides of this issue. And freedom of speech only remains free as long as unpopular speech is free. So the imam has the right to say what he wants said, and Ezra to say what he wants. We have to defend the rights of both. If that wastes some time and resources, I believe that's an acceptable cost for keeping the freedom.
I agree Bravus but why is one taking to the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission his offence of what the other one said? That doesn't sound like free speech...that sounds like muffling free speech.
Post a Comment