Reward offered for cartoonist's death
Reward offered for cartoonist's death
Does anyone else see the irony in this? I also wonder if any of the protesters have actually seen the cartoons? The one cleric that offered the $1M reward for the death of the cartoonist did not know that there were in fact 12 cartoons drawn by 12 different cartoonists.
9 comments:
I've got 5/12 of those cartoonists, tied up in my cupboard. How much is that worth?
12 Danishes in a bag in your cupboard probably won't go for much these days, no matter how offensive they become in a few days.
dont forget about the $50,000 price for taking out the guy writing the blog about the cartoons
hehe
ken
That's crazy, hopefully it'll end up being like the whole Salman Rushdie thing. He'll go into hiding for a bit, write some better novels, and eventually things will just blow over.
Did Salman Rushdie write any better novels after that crazy jihad?
I'm not a book reader...did Salman Rushdie write any good books? I know he wrote one that pissed off a lot of people.
I don't personally know why there is such a big uproar. It's not like they killed anybody. Unfortunately some people were killed during the rioting. That is sad.
I read the Satanic Verses, which was an excellent book. It's a tough read, but he's a great writer.
And the sections that were offensive, weren't really that offensive. They were surprisingly tame.
I think the Jihad on him was for the same reason that the violence over the cartoons manifested. Depicting the Prophet in any way other than with reverence is a big no-no.
It's kind of second hand information, and I'm honestly not up on Salman Rushie's books. However, I've heard from multiple sources that his later books were a lot better than the Satanic Verses, including one middle-Eastern prof who told me that.
From what I was told, these things often result from the person declaring the jihad not really knowing the full story, just hearing the sensationalized version. I think the "shocking title" tied in with the content is what got him into trouble.
Sounds like the Imans are trying to calm the masses. Hopefully people will come to their senses about this. Not being a religious type, but respectful of their beliefs, I don't see how killing someone over this is going to solve anything.
Post a Comment