CIA Planes In Canada
I've touched on this once before a long time ago. CIA planes are landing in Canada fairly regularly. The media thinks they are using Canada as a stopping point before flying to countries that allow torture on terrorists. Since this had gone on for a while, even when the Liberals were in power, it makes you wonder if there are any terrorists being tortured here in Canada. I hope not and I hope it doesn't come out that we are helping/aiding the CIA to commit torture, even in another country. I still believe we are a peaceful nation (although, we don't really have a choice) and aiding one nation to commit what Canada would consider a crime would not look good for Canada in the world scene. There are a lot of implications should we get fingered for helping the CIA do their...work.
Plane With Links to CIA Flies Off
6 comments:
It's unfortunate, but Canada does kind of need to toe the line with the US to a certain extent. I hope the conservatives don't bend over backwards for the US. As much as the Liberals screwed up, I was happy we stayed out of the war as much as possible.
I don't understand what the big deal is about the planes landing. Our planes would land in the US if they needed to, right?
I don't think we need to tow the line with the US at all. I think we've been chasing it like a salivating puppy. There is no reason we should want to emulate the US or stand for what it believes in (gutting other nations' riches in the names of freedom and democracy).
The CIA can go to hell.
I think government planes land all over the world. Perhaps it is the frequency of the landings that are raising suspicion.
I hate the idea that we need to do anything the US says, but unfortunately, they do kind of have us by the balls.
Even taking their vastly superior military out of the equation, the US has a huge economic advantage over us. If the US wanted to, they could decimate us just by setting up embargos, which they've used quite effectively on a number of other countries.
Also, half the businesses in Canada are owned by American owners. I used to work at Alberta Agriculture, where we'd send out BSE (mad cow) payments. Most of the BSE payments ended up going to the packing houses, which were all American owned, and it was the US that started the problem in the first place by closing their borders to Canadian beef. The rare small-producer that owned a few cattle hardly got any money at all.
I think we would see a huge ally in Europe if we stopped trading with the US. Asia is a huge market as well. I think our economics should change towards a more self-sufficient one anyway. I read today that the US exported much less than they imported (quite bad for their economy) this past year.
That's crazy about the payouts to US owned meat packers. How aweful is that? - tax money going straight to the other side of the border.
Post a Comment