I Was The EXECUTIONER!!
It sometimes amazes me how little some people know about the food they eat. I don't think they are dumb, just not informed. They see food in the store and that is where food comes from. Yesterday we killed 24 more chickens and I was the axe man. I was describing to some colleagues how it was a family affair. My son and I (mostly my son...they are pretty quick) caught the chickens, I murdered them, they were dunked in boiling or close to boiling hot water to help make the feathers easier to pluck off, how my one daughter and son helped pluck the chickens, and one of my other daughters helped gut and cut up the chickens with Mom, Nana, and others in my extended family. I don't think they were really wanting to know how it is done...as they say "Ignorance is Bliss". Better to not know than to feel the chickens pain. Probably a little guilt on their part too.
Yes, farm life can be a great learning experience. There you get to see exactly what is involved in getting the food from the farm to the kitchen table. Some of the things you learn:
1) Dogs love chicken heads, chickens feet, and licking the chopping stump.
2) Cats love all the guts.
3) Wasps love anything that remotely smells like food. (There were two stings)
4) There is always a good meal after the work is done...in this case smoked turkey.
I wonder if my colleagues would be interested in coming out for branding the cows or processing the turkeys this fall. My guess is "Not". Too bad. They would learn a little about real life.
1 comment:
I have to admit that, if I had to look the food in the eyes and wield the axe, I'd probably end up joining Alex as a vegetarian! It's an interesting thing to think about, not only in its own right, but in terms of thinking about what other kinds of 'dirty work' we want done, but don't necessarily want to do for ourselves. I'm not saying there's anything morally wrong with the slaughter, at all, just that some people (including me) find it distasteful - but the chicken and turkey and beef very tasteful indeed!
Post a Comment