Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Mosquito Heaven

I was outside tonight trying to take apart an old picnic table that I have to replace some of the boards. I've jokingly told some people that I am a mosquito farmer and after tonight I am wondering if that is what I am farming out here. It must be a combination of the sunny weather and the afternoon rain storms but they were looking for a meal and I had "dinner" written all over me. It probably isn't that bad but I wasn't enjoying the great outdoors. There must be some way to get rid of those pests. I love my place but if I can't go outside it isn't much fun. Next year there will be a mosquito management system in place. To be fair though I've heard there are more mosquitoes this year than most. A lot has to do with the trench the previous owners made out in the forest. He was using it to water the gardens. It really was a good idea and a lot of work went into making those trenches. Dawn wants me to put in new plastic in our pond to catch the rainwater and she wants to put in a fountain to help control the mosquitoes that might want to breed there. It will look nice when it is done.

We've done a bit more work in the yard...cut down a few trees around the house. I want to cut down a whole bunch more but I would think a D-9 Cat would do a better job. I want to have a bit more space between me and the trees because they are within striking distance of the house. One big wind and we could have some issues should one of them decide to fall toward the house. A few have fallen already this spring and summer but have gone the other way. At least it makes for easy firewood gathering. If anyone feels strong one day I will take volunteers to help haul the logs out of our bush :-)

2 comments:

Kim said...

We have the same problem with mosquitos this year. Kevin bought this fogging stuff and fogs around the area where he will be working...but hey, I'm not sure how safe that is. Next year we will look into purchasing a mosquito trap. A friend has one and says it was the best investment he has made recently!

Sirdar said...

Lets hope Kevin doesn't start growing extra appendages from all that fogging :-)

That mosquito trap...is that the one that hooks up to a propane bottle and costs three arms and a leg?