New Computers...Trials and Tribulations
I always wanted a newer up to date computer...one that will last me as long as the one I bought in 1998...which still runs. As I mentioned in my last post I received a newer computer from a friend at work. He already had 3 and HAD to buy a new one so he decided to give us the one he could do without. It wasn't quite the system he described to me when he was telling me about it but it is a bit of a step up in speed compared to mine. Some of the components are a bit behind mine. He received it from his father-in-law a few years ago so probably didn't update it since then.
Well...I am happy to report that it is finally up and running with the basics that I needed. It was a learning experience to say the least as I needed to get things from my Win98 system to the new one. I did some downloading from work for some of the bigger downloads that I needed as they have high-speed and I have dialup. I also had to transfer some info from the Win98 system so used my CDRW. I also discovered that my buddy left a worm on the machine. If you know me I am somewhat aware of things that go on my computer and would never install a program off the web that is considered spyware. I found it actually a little hard to find it. In fact I didn't. I did however figure out that is embedded in the System Restore. My virus scanner couldn't find it nor could Adaware. That was very puzzling as NOD32 is a very good virus scanner. But since this worm came on before I got the computer, it managed to be saved in the system restore files which I haven't been able to find. So if you know where they are and what they are called please let me know. I'll find it sooner or later but for now it would just be nice to be told :-)
Some other things I noticed is that some of the programs I run were only good for Win98 so had to download and XP version. Transferring my Firefox and Thunderbird files went pretty good.
OH...and there is a new company near our place that may be able to give us HIGH_SPEED internet!! I'll be checking it out when I get back from Ft. MacMurray near the end of the week.
4 comments:
Coolness! Will you be able to transfer some of your hardware across too? Kind of make a new Frankenstein machine out of all the best bits of both older systems?
As far as I understand it, the fact that there is residue of the worm in the system restore files shouldn't be a problem if you've cleaned it from the rest of the machine. I'm not on an XP machine at the moment, but when I get home I'll see if I can find a way to delete particular restore points.
Have fun with the new toy! XP is actually pretty decent, but it'll be even funner when you have broadband and can use the newest versions of iTunes and Windows Media Player that are onyl available for XP.
I will make a bit of a Frankenmachine when all is said and done. I think the first thing will to get an up to date CDRW and DVD. Then the kids can have the best of the left overs which should last them a few years. I have the old one in Traftan's room so hope to get that set up for them. They are pretty excited about having their own machine.
networking next!
With your advice I'm sure we could do that. I will also have to figure out how to connect to my dad's computer now that we both have XP.
Post a Comment