Sunday, February 27, 2005

Is Canada Losing It's Sovereignty?

Lets see...Canada won't endorse a plan that so far hasn't worked and because of that the US says we have lost our sovereignty? In my last post I mentioned that maybe we are trying to be more European. Well...maybe there is something to it. Maybe we are trying to be friends with Europe as maybe the Canadian Government can see that the US Empire is starting to flex it's muscle a little too much and maybe we are trying to find friends outside of North America. Have a read of this article: Linda McQuaig says standing up to U.S. will gain us respect abroad.

What do you think is happening?

2 comments:

Bravus said...

Yeah, I just straight out laughed at the Americans saying 'If you don't bend over and be our b*tch, it means you're losing your sovereignty'. Last I checked the definition, sovereignty was something about a country being able to make its own decisions, rather than automatically follow along with others. Well done to Martin for standing up to them - and it's not about making friends in Europe, IMO (although that will be a handy side effect), it's about a well thought out decision about what's in Canada's interests. The Missile Defense Sheild (a) is very unlikely *ever* to be technologically feasible and (b) is just a Bad Idea in the whole arms race, cold war, mutually assured destruction way. The threats being claimed - North Korea making working ICBMs - are ludicrous.

I don't yet have a lot of respect for the federal Liberals - they're still accounting for the sponsorship scandal - but this was a good decision.

Sirdar said...

I agree it was a good decision. There is a lot more implication if we endorse it than if we don't. As for the sponsorship scandel....somebody better pay!!